Midnight

An unexpected song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers was stuck in my head as I woke up this morning.  It's from their 2002 album "By the Way."  The song is called Midnight, here it is:



I suppose this song is about a relationship where the singer feels that there is something cosmic and fateful about their love.  Having listened to the song a bit more closely, I find that I really like it.  That's what's fun about this blog. I get to share music and it forces me to listen more closely to music I would otherwise listen to casually.  

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are an important band for me in a way.  As a young child, I always listened to classical music.  I won't bore you with the details, but I liked classical music and I especially liked to listen to it really loud.  My older brother liked Rock and Roll and I liked being different than him.  My taste for music evolved in 1992 when my family moved to Phoenix, Arizona.  I didn't have friends and it was the summer- no school, no friends.  There was an interesting television station where viewers could call in, pay money and the station would play a music video of the payers choice.  I think it was called The Jukebox, but my memory isn't so good sometimes.  

Anyway, I started watching this TV station.  This was right around the time that Nirvanna and Pearl Jam changed the look and sound of Rock.  A lot of these bands played on the Jukebox.  U2's "One" was a common video played as well.  It was at this time that I fell in love with "Under the Bridge" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  I didn't have the money, so I could never call in to The Jukebox to pay for a video, but secretly I wanted "Under the Bridge" to play, and it did often.  I couldn't believe that I actually enjoyed listening to a song that wasn't Classical.  

Consequently, as an adult, I've found that the kind of music I like most is where Classical and Contemporary Pop/Rock combine, take for example the intro of today's song with piano and strings.  

Blah blah blah, I'm kind of rambling and I don't think today's post is terribly exciting.  Thanks for reading if you did.  Thanks even more if you enjoyed it.  Have fun.  Seriously.

Brady

No comments:

Post a Comment