Smile (Pictures or it Didn't Happen)

I just got back from a week long cruise to the western Caribbean.  I had a great time, and it's funny how being out of town for so long can be so refreshing, yet at the end I always miss my life at home.  It will be good to get back into the swing of things.

Today's song comes from Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra.  I'm a huge fan of Palmer's, from her days with The Dresden Dolls and into her solo career.  The song stuck in my head this morning has really grown on me.  When I first heard it, I didn't appreciate it.  It felt loud, long, over-produced, and almost hard to listen to.  It's funny though, how a song, or album can grow on you after a few revisits.  Give the song an listen and decide for yourself what you think:






This song for me is about social media and how we feel like we have to share everything that's going on in our lives.  I suppose I'm guilty of this, although I intentionally didn't share all the pictures from our cruise, because I know that's just annoying.  We all need to be careful about what we post online I suppose.  Once it's there, I don't think it ever really goes away.

I feel like I'm getting boring in my old age, and don't feel like I have much else to say.  I suppose I should endorse Amanda Palmer's album "Theater is Evil" on which you find this song.  It's a great album, intense, smart, passionate and fun.  There are some seriously catchy songs and some great lyrics too.  Check it out if you feel so inclined.

1 comment:

  1. Love AFP, and this album. Yes, our blogs are more than a bit similar. I love that you also do a roll call of artists you've blogged about in your tags. It's fascinating how they add up, and from what disparate corners of our brains they can emanate. We've definitely got some pop culture overlap. Glad to connect!

    ReplyDelete