California Dreamin

Who knows why, on a Sunday morning in late May I have the lyric "All The Leaves Are Brown, And The Sky is Gray" going through my head as I wake up?  It's been a beautiful Memorial Day weekend so far with perfect weather.

But let's go back to 1966 when this song, "California Dreamin" by The Mamas and The Papas was hugely popular.  If you don't know this song, then you grew up in a cave, or in one of those countries that doesn't let you listen to music.

Here's the song, have a listen:







This song is considered, by Rolling Stone Magazine, to be the 89th greatest song of all time on a list of 500 songs.  Isn't that neat?  I personally would have ranked it 88th, but that's just me.  

I just bought the album on which this song is found, 1966's "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears."  It only cost 5.99 on iTunes, so I thought, why not?  It will be fun to listen to these guys.

Things I didn't know about the Mamas and the Papas:
-They were only together as a group for about four years and in that time they released 5 studio albums and in that time they scored more billboard charting hits than many artists with lifelong careers.

-Of the four original members, only one is alive today- Michelle Phillips, who still nets royalties from this song some 50 years later (she is credited with her than husband John Phillips with writing "California Dreamin")

-Mama Cass (Cass Elliot) another female member of the band, died suddenly in 1974.  Most people know this and an urban legend is that she choked on a ham sandwich and died.  This is not true.  She died of a heart attack at the age of 32.  

-I'm feeling very 1960's today with the skinny jeans and black boots. (This has nothing to do with the Mamas and the Papas, this is more to do with my own indulgence cause it's my blog you know?)



This blog post is neat.    


Have a good week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment