Lie to Me

Few artists have grown on me quite like Sara Bareilles.  As a music lover, I suppose the temptation is to write off artists who have had mainstream success.  My guess is that we who've invested so much into music don't want to share something we love with those who don't understand it, or appreciate it the way we do- if that makes sense?  Sara Bareilles is an artist in the true sense though.  She writes some great songs, her voice is powerful and strong, her melodies are catchy and she plays some wickedly good piano.

What's not to like then?  Why do I feel like I have to explain what I like about her?

There are music snobs and music lovers.  I would hope I am the latter.

Today's song is a great song.  It's called "Lie to Me" and it's from Bareilles' 2012 EP "Once Upon Another Time."  This song is sexy.  The end.  Listen to the part where the stings come in.  Isn't that fantastic?  Also, I dig the slow, steady drumming on this track.  The lyrics are relatable- being in a relationship where you don't want to hear the truth about what your partner has to say, for fear that it will hurt.  Wanting him/her while at the same time despising her/him for using you.  Much darker than some of Bareilles' other songs, and man I love it.



I'm at sort of a stand still with this site (and I hate the word 'blog') It's been a labor of love for the last 3 years or so.  I've sort of started to feel trapped.  I love to share music and I think this is a good way to do it, but I also know people like to be entertained.

Lately I've been tempted to make it be about my day-to-day life: this week I did this, or that, or whatever.  But that seems overly-indulgent, when having one's own blog is already totally pretentious.

Well, I don't have it in me to entertain, so here's an update on my life.

WE SOLD OUR HOUSE THIS WEEK!

It sold in 5 days- much quicker than we had ever anticipated.  It's exciting and we'll walk away with enough cash to pay off most of our debts, except the cars.  I'm happy about that.

Now here's the sad part- we had this perfect home picked out in Farmington.  We made an offer- they accepted with a contingency that we sell our house within a certain time frame.  They would remain open to other offers in the meantime.  We were sure the house was ours after our house sold in 5 days, but alas, they took another offer and we lost the home.  I'm totally bummed and now we're likely to be homeless in the next few weeks if we don't find something fast!

I will miss our humble little abode, the place we've called home the last 8 years- where our 2 youngest learned to walk- and where my kids have enjoyed and loved their school, church, friends etc.



Did I bore you with this pretentious blog (I hate that word!) post?

1 comment:

  1. Not bored! Thanks for the update. I dig this site and I dig the music I discover through it. I'll keep you and your new house (wherever it is) in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete