Peter and the Wolf (Wolf Theme)

Did any of you watch 'Peter and the Wolf' by Disney as a kid? 




I loved this classic cartoon from 1946.  The original cartoon is tough to find, but for some odd reason I found a version narrated by David Bowie.  Who knows why, and who knows how long it will be up, so enjoy it while you can here.  I'm sure Di$ney doesn't love this being up free to watch:


http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmbg64_david-bowie-narrates-disneys-peter-and-the-wolf_music


The music is what makes this short film so great.  It's by Russian (Soviet?) composer Sergei Prokofiev and was commissioned in 1936 by the Soviet Union as a way to teach small children about various instruments in an orchestra.

Today' the menacing theme of The Wolf (composed of French Horns) was stuck in my head.  Totally random and unexpected, but a great tune.  Here it is if you're curious:




 
 
 
 
Another familiar place you may find this tune is in this classic scene from A Christmas Carol, featuring bully Scut Farkas (Farkas I learned means "Wolf" in Hungarian, thanks Wikipedia!!!) 
 
 
 
 


I'm sure these videos I'm posting will not be here long due to copywriting.  Enjoy them while you can!

Thanks for reading my blog today.
 

1 comment: