What Have I Done?

6/9/19

A little Les Mis for the subconscious?

But of course!

Perhaps the best moment of the whole (now classic) musical.  This is Jean Valjean's epiphany when he decides to change.  Oh goll I'll tell you the story, but shame on you if you aren't already familiar.

Jean Valjean steals a loaf a bread for his starving family.  Valjean goes to prison for 19 years.  He's released on parole.  As he struggles to find work, he's taken in by a priest who feeds him and lets him stay the night.  During the night, Valjean in desperation steals the priests silverware but is caught.  When the police take him back to the priest, instead of punishing Valjean, the priest offers him silver candlesticks as well-- pretending that he had given Valjean the silver as a gift. 

Valjean changes from this experience.  It's the perfect story of redemption.  How love and kindness changes people.  I am very moved by it every time I see it happen on stage, or when the story of this priest's kindness is recounted in whatever fashion.  The story is very famous, as you know! 

I have a new goal that I'd like to read the full, complete, unabridged version of Les Miserables.  I know my mom did and said she loved it.  I think it's an inspiring story. 

Anyway, here's the song, "What Have I Done" which is Valjean's epiphany.  I've chosen to share Colm Wilkinson (who originated the role and plays the priest in the 2012 film)   Hugh Jackman's acting is powerful in the film.  I really love this song.








Side note, since my blog is the closest I'll ever have to a journal, I enjoyed watched our son Peyton as the priest in a teen production of this classic musical.  Here's a little (not so great) snapshot I got of him during the show.  He's the best singer.  I love to see him perform.  And obviously seeing this production inspired today's post. 








No comments:

Post a Comment