Everyman Needs a Companion

Today's song comes from musician Josh Tillman, otherwise known (in this case) as Father John Misty. 

Father John Misty's only album "Fear Fun" was recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad I have it as part of my collection, there are some great songs on it. 

According to Wikipedia, Tillman took a lot of mushrooms, went driving down the coast of California feeling inspired to write a novel, but instead produced this album.  The song stuck in my head this morning is the final track on the album and is called "Everyman Needs a Companion"



This track is straightforward just by the title, although it also gets somewhat biblical along the way.  Who knows- maybe he's alluding to religion being a sort of companion to mankind?  I'm pretty shallow so I don't understand stuff. 

But the song's good, right?  RIGHT?

A quick story.  I am a man.  I need a companion.  I'm lucky I have one.  Her name is Megan.  I sure like her.  We are pretty head over heels for each other, almost in a sickening way- and we were much worse during the courtship leading up to our marriage in 2005.

Well, one day we were at my parent's house with all my family- my parents, siblings, and their spouses.  It was Christmas day (we were married a few days later on New Years Eve) and my family was having a great time making fun of our public display of affection. 

Megan pulled me aside to give me a gift in the other room.  The gift was a blanket she made for me (which I still have) and it was soft, nice, warm and I was really flattered that she had made it for me.  My family could hear me from the other room spewing all kinds of sappy gratitude and love for this gift. 

When we returned to the family room, where everyone was gathered, we were soon the brunt of a hilarious practical joke.  My mom and dad, my brothers, sister and all their spouses were kissing, making out really- and quite passionately.  Once we had gotten over the shock, we all had a really good laugh.  The best part too was my 90 year old grandmother who was sitting there with an incredibly confused look on her face.  She had no idea what was happening! 

Have a good week, friends.    

No comments:

Post a Comment