We Know the Way

I've watched bits and pieces of Disney's "Moana" since we first purchased it for our kids, but for the first time Saturday night I was able to sit and really watch it from start to finish.  It's a great movie, very entertaining, engaging and fun.  The music is great too so I wasn't surprised when one of its songs got stuck in my head Sunday morning.

I'm horrible with lyrics- I talk about it a lot here, but I'm just now realizing most of this song is in native Tokelauan.  I thought they were saying "Away, Away" in this song but they're not!  They're saying "Aue Aue" and not because they can't spell, because they're not singing in English, sillies!

"Aue, Aue" means "Oh, oh" for the record.

In fact, just for funzies, I'll give you the meaning of the lyrics in English cause I'm helpful.

Tatou o tagata folau e vala’auinaWe are voyagers summoned by the mighty gods
E le atua o le sami tele e o maiOf this mighty ocean to come
Ia ava’e le lu’itau e leleiWe take up the good challenge
TapenapenaGet ready
[Hook 1: Chorus, Opetaia Foa'i][Translation from Tokelauan]
Aue, aueOh! Oh!
Nuku i muaThere is land up ahead
Te manulele e tataki eA bird in flight to take us there
Aue, aueOh! Oh!
Te fenua te mālieThis beautiful land
Nae ko hakilia mo kaiga eThe place I was looking for, we will make our home
[Translation from Tokulean]
Aue, aueOh! Oh!
We are explorers reading every sign
We tell the stories of our elders in a never-ending chain
Aue, aueOh! Oh!
Te fenua te mālieThis beautiful land
Nae ko hakiliaThe place I was looking for








Copying and pasting messed up the margins on my page and I can't fix it- aue well!

My aue my we had some fun today.  I hope you enjoyed the song stuck in my head.

Image result for moana

No comments:

Post a Comment