Blue Suede Shoes

I grew up on the Beatles, not Elvis.  This is because Elvis was a decade behind my parents' teen years.  I've never really listened to Elvis music- other than the standard songs which inevitably you will hear at one time or another.

A couple of months ago, I reluctantly tried out and accepted a role in a production of the Musical "All Shook Up."  My reluctance to be involved in the production was related to having just finished one production and maybe a little toward my apathy when it comes to Elvis Presley.  

Little did I know that over time, these songs, littered throughout this show, would begin to grow on me and incidentally weasel into my head.  Being away from my kids while I perform is stressful and I worry about what it does to them.  And I know what it does to the order of my life when I'm spending less time at home-  the house gets messy and we get behind on "things" in the house.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is Elvis (even though he really wasn't much of a writer, so much as an iconic performer) was great and the songs he made famous are fun and are now getting stuck in my head.  

"Blue Suede Shoes"was originally performed by Elvis on his debut, and self-titled, 1956 album.  If you happened to buy this album in 1956, Blue Suede shoes would have been the first song you ever heard by The King!  But if you were smart, you would have known that the song, although immortalized by Elvis, had actually been written and performed the year prior by Carl Perkins.

Here's Perkins' version of the song:







And here's The King!








And just for funzees here's a picture of me and the wife in this crazy, silly, fun show we're doing, "All Shook Up" at the Terrace Plaza playhouse in Ogden.  Fun fact:  Fake Leather doesn't breathe and wearing it as a costume under hot lights is pretty neat!  




Huggies!

Brady



No comments:

Post a Comment