The Naming

Today's post is gonna be kind of neat because I get to shamelessly plug a show my wife is opening this week!

Last night I was lucky to be part of an exclusive group that was allowed to see the opening premier of "Children of Eden" at Centerpointe Theater in Centerville.  This was a unique musical, like nothing I've ever seen.  The fact that this cynic enjoyed it says to me that there's something special about "Children of Eden"

Check out that gorgeous blonde.  Yep, that's my wife.  She plays Eve, you know, like Adam and Eve?  Yes, that Eve.

Anyway, I'm getting distracted.  So... the first act of CHILDREN OF EDEN is the story of Adam and Eve and the second act is the story of Noah and the Ark.  Without spoiling anything, the story becomes a beautiful parable about man's existence and struggle in life.  In it, one generation learns from another and seems to evolve as it learns.

Behind all this intelligent story telling, is a beautiful score by Stephen Schwartz, who is probably most famous for his musical WICKED, or GODSPELL.  From what I've heard, this show is his "baby" and he loves it more than any of his others in spite of its relative obscurity.  It was fun to see something special like this and I left wanting to watch it again and catch all the profundities I missed the first time through.  I enjoy being challenged artistically.


My  famous and gorgeous Megan as Noah's Wife in the second act 



OK, so I suppose I'll share the song stuck in my head as I arose today.  It's from the first act of this show and is the moment where God, soon after introducing Adam and Eve to the Garden of Eden, shows them all the animals in the garden and asks that the animals be named.  I've heard my wife go over this, and other songs from this show, time and time again over the last few months while she's been rehearsing.  I'm actually surprised I haven't blogged about one of these songs before now.

Anyway, here it is folks, listen if you please:



The Naming, from "Children of Eden"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRhiFT2LUTc


One last thing.... my wife was fantastic as Eve and Mama Noah in this production!  Her singing was spot on, and her acting was the best I've ever seen.  She never ceases to amaze me.  And I'm most biased to her, but the rest of the cast deserves a shout out.  I don't think I've seen a more talented and dedicated group of performers in a "community" production.  A special shout out to my 7-year-old daughter who played a rabbit boarding the ark as well (I wish I had a picture)

If you live nearby, this show is well worth your time.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment