Bottle It Up

There's something about the piano that I just love- probably why it's my instrument of choice.  

Get an incredibly talented singer and writer behind the piano and I'm hooked.  

Today's song comes from Sara Bareilles.  I'm lucky to own her album because of my wife's good taste in music.  Sara Bareilles has managed to break through to the mainstream with her talent and catchy songs, one of which was stuck in my head this morning.  Here's "Bottle It Up" from Bareilles' first album LITTLE VOICE.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf92q6Vrj2o

According to Bareilles herself in a clip I just watched, this song is about the sometimes tumultuous relationship with her record label.  She confidently sings that her music is good but that she is being held back by their expectations- yet she does what she does because she loves it and will keep on doing it.  

This is a common theme for musicians and it's crazy to me that record labels put songs like this onto the albums they produce.  Are they that daft that they would think the song is about something else?  Or are the artists clever enough to make the lyrics ambiguous enough to mask the truth from them?  "Bottle It Up" certainly could be interpreted to mean something else.  How very clever of you, Sara Bareilles.


1 comment:

  1. I had never really listened to her until she was a judge on The Sing Off. She really is lovely. Thanks for getting this one stuck in your head;)

    ReplyDelete