Capable of Anything

Ben Folds is my fellow, as many of you know. 

A few weeks ago he released a new album "So There." 

It's fantastic.  Truly.  I apologize in advance for the likely barrage of posts that will follow.  I love his music and I find his melodies not only good, but catchy.  And since I'm so obsessive compulsive to blog about the exact song stuck in my head on Sunday mornings, I'm certain more are to follow.

So fun facts about Mr. Folds new album:

- He ditched the guitars and opted for a classical sextet called yMusic to join him.

- The album includes 8 chamber pop songs and 3 classical pieces which he recorded with Nashville Symphony

- Lyrically, I think this is the best I've ever heard him.

- Musically, this is very fun and interesting.

The song stuck in my head this morning is the opening track from the album and it's called "Capable of Anything."



I hope you dig.  I sure dig.

If you listened to the lyrics, you'll find that the song has to do with a relationship gone wrong where one party is judging and blaming the other for the couple's collapse.  The person's response is to throw it back at the accuser saying he/she is capable of causing harm just like anyone else.  My favorite lyric is this one:

The thick and holy good guy
I want so bad to be,
But I was weak and wrong,
And when I end it all
It only made you righteous now
You get to blame your life on me


Ben Folds has been married and divorced four times.  Who knows why, his business not mine, but sadly the relationships don't seem to work out for him.  I think it's done wonders for his music and makes for an interesting story/perspective.  Maybe he's happier alone.

As for me, yesterday I found myself on the scariest roller coaster.  Normally I don't get scared by this sort of thing, but this ride, Cannibal- at Lagoon in Farmington Utah- is freaky-scary. 




The picture doesn't do it justice.  That first drop from the top of the tower is 208 feet, which is the highest roller coaster drop in the United States.  I want you to think about that for just a moment, 208 feet!  The anxiety and anticipation of being lifted (in an elevator) that high and just dropped like that, was perhaps the most frightening thing I've ever done.  I really was so scared that I don't know that I'll ever do it again!

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment