I'll Fly Away

12/29/19

We had a special week with my extended Cash family as my grandparents celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary.  They were married on Christmas day in 1949, which is just great.  It has an "It's a Wonderful Life" feel to it.

Anyway, music has always been a part of my family and Grandpa had a whole list of songs he wanted played for them.  From "you are my sunshine" to "little joe the wrangler" to "long line of love" it was a great night.  The highlight was when my Grandparents, approaching their 90's, danced to their love song "To Each His Own"    It was a great day to be with so many people I love.

The song from that night that found its way into my head is called "I'll Fly Away"  It's actually a gospel song from 1929, written by Southern Gospel composer Albert Brumley.  My family took the chords from You are My Sunshine and integrated it into a medley with I'll Fly Away.  It was lovely.

The song itself has been covered time and time and time again.  It's always tough to decide which version to share, so I guess I'll give you a few:

Alison Krauss:








Alan Jackson:





and cause he's family, somewhere down the line, Johnny Cash:





Here's a few pics I caught... wish I had gotten more.  My 8 year old son, Jude, hugging my grandparents, who truly are the best. 






No comments:

Post a Comment