Somewhere

If there's nothing that upsets me more, it's the idea that a group of young kids who join a gang, thinking that by causing mayhem they'll be accepted.  By causing mischief and committing heinous crimes, a group of kids- kids who have so much life to live, can ruin lives forever.  Yes, gangs are horrible indeed.

Worse yet, are dancing gangs- gang members who plie and chasse in one moment, and stab you in the next.  This frightening idea seems to work in "West Side Story" and I'm obligated to share the song stuck in my head today, which is from this overly dramatic production.



For those not familiar with "West Side Story," it's a retelling, of sorts, of "Romeo and Juliet."  Two groups oppose and fight each other with intolerant fear, with seemingly no purpose except  unnecessary rage and hate.  Then the unlikely happens, two individuals from opposing sides fall in love, a sappy love which is forbidden and fatal.  The audience weeps and wonders why there is so much hate in the world, and the story is recycled again... see "Aida" "Cleopatra" and Disney's "Pocahontas" for similar stories.

Forgive my cynicism, there was a time when I truly loved "West Side Story" and I suppose I still do, but for me, the magic is in the music more than it is in the sappy story.  Watch it again, either on stage or film, and ask yourself, "is this truly the way that people behave?"  I have a hard time swallowing it, but that's just me, and this is my big criticism.  Regardless, Leonard Bernstein (with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim) have created some of the most unique and beautiful melodies of the 20th century in this production.  There are many songs I would love to share with you, but today I'm stuck with probably the sappiest one, "Somewhere."

This song is song when Tony and Maria realize that their love is troubled and they long for a life where they can love freely (they've known each other for a day and (**SPOILER**) he just killer her brother) without outside factors forbidding their love.  Here is "Somewhere," a lovely melody and beautiful song and ultimately something to which all who have struggled to find a place in life can relate:

                                                 



I might get some crap for even slightly criticizing a show that is sacred to so many, but here I am and this is my blog so neener neener I'll say it anyway.  I hope it's clear that I love the music from this show.  I've been involved in three productions of "West Side Story" and in the end, I suppose I'll always love the show.  I'm certain many other great songs from this show will work their way into my gullible brain and I'll be happy to share them as they come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment