Trash

When I started this blog, I promised myself that I would always be honest about the song playing in my head in the mornings.  That being said, this one is a little tricky.  It comes from Tyler Glenn who is the lead singer of successful pop band, Neon Trees.

There are 3 groups that are pretty dang successful that have Mormon roots, The Killers, Imagine Dragons and Neon Trees.  It's been interesting to see some of my fellow Mormons in the spotlight as a result of popular success.

In 2014, Tyler Glenn announced his homosexuality.  As a Mormon, being gay is tricky.  The church teaches love and tolerance and tries to understand homosexual lifestyle, while at the same time condemning homosexual acts.

For Glenn, and many other gay, believing Mormons, this has been a tough time.  Tyler Glenn released a single earlier this year called "Trash" along with a controversial music video.  I've watched the video once, and the song has found its way into my head today, particularly the line in the chorus which says "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

It's a bold, daring song.  As active members of the LDS church, I think it's very important that we listen to what Tyler Glenn is trying to say.   I don't have anything to say other than listening and trying to understand is important.

I won't post the video, you can find it if you want (but for believing Mormons, be warned) regardless here is the song, Tyler Glenn's "Trash"




No comments:

Post a Comment