Take Me the Way I Am

Last night I had a great time at my brother-in-law's wedding.  I usually have a hard time at weddings because I find the details of the wedding so expensive and trivial.  It seems at weddings that the color of all the dresses or the extravagant cake becomes of more importance than the fact that two people are in love and want to be together.

I was a groomsman at the wedding.  As such, I was given a vest, pants and asked to buy a pair of shoes.  When I showed up, I had bought the wrong color of shoes.  I was worried that somehow I would ruin the wedding for not having the right color *gasp* and that I would somehow disappoint my brother-in-law.  I fretted about it all day, not wanting to let anybody down.  I found myself trying to somehow hide my shoes during the pictures of the groomsmen, and shying away as people wanted to talk to me.

Finally, the moment came when I had to apologize to the groom for the shoes.  When I told him I was sorry, he looked at me, almost laughing, and told me it wasn't a big deal.  AND he was right.

Later that night, as I watched him dance with his beautiful new wife for the first time, I realized that I was the one trivializing the wedding, and because he was feeling the true spirit of what weddings are about it wasn't a big deal to him.



My kids sang this song at the wedding dinner.  They did a great job, and this is a great love song.  Its lyrics are simple and sincere.  Incidentally, this has been running through my head all day.  Watching my brother get married, I was reminded again of my own wedding.  How lucky I am to have someone in my life who loves me for the way I am too.

3 comments:

  1. Fer cute. Thanks for getting a good one stuck in my head. Much better than your last.

    Have fun in Cedar City!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. brady can i just say you are an awesome man? sometimes you blow me away with your honesty and thoughtfulness. i was only just able to read this post (and while i may be getting my overwhelming feelings associated with my wedding and my love for you as a brother in law mixed up) i have to admit i admire you a lot as a person. everything you do for my sister and you guys' children to teaching your kids this damn song that makes me cry every time i hear it is just neat.
    you're neat
    -J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw gee, what a nice thing to say. I think we, as a society, don't take enough time to ever tell people we appreciate them, so thank you for that. That being said, it's awkward to take a compliment of such high magnitude, especially since it's my awesome wife that taught the kids the song. But, seriously, thank you and admiration goes right back at you, not for only being such a great person, but a good friend as well.

      Delete