A Mighty Fortress/Angels We Have Heard on High

I suppose this is two songs in one.  And there's something special about the song (recording?) I'm about to share.

This song gets stuck in my head a lot.  And it's not the traditional "Angels We Have Heard On High," it's this recording by Amy Grant.  In fact, one early morning about 4 years ago this song was stuck in my head and it inspired me to start a blog about random songs that play in my head.  Yes, you can blame this song for 3 1/2 years of time I've wasted here.

Anyway, here's the song.  Half of it is a cool orchestration of Martin Luther's anthem "A Mighty Fortress is our God" and the next half it rolls into a piano-based pop version of "Angels We Have Heard on High."  For those who care, at about 2:20 in the song is the piano riff that rolls through my head frequently:




Oh, forgot to tell you that this recording is the final track from Grant's 1983 Christmas Album.

Let me tell you about this album and the abusive nature it had on my childhood.  See, I have one sister, and come November 1st she would blast Christmas music every year!  I love this sister, dearly, but this was her favorite Christmas album.  Maybe it still is?  Anyway, she played it A LOT, sang along and enjoyed the Christmas season while ruining mine!

Of course, I'm half-kidding.  It was my own cynical fault for letting it bother me.  I'll be honest too, in my old age I'm starting to miss her holiday music.  Mostly I just miss her.  Not that I don't see her- we're just adults, busy with our kids and life.  But she really is somebody special and just the kind of sister any brother could ever want/need.  She was fun, kind and a good example to me.  Mostly importantly, she has always been my friend.

She's a good lady- everybody's friend and an amazing mom.  I'm proud she's my sister, Christmas music and all. 

So to sum up:

-Brady's blog was inspired by Amy Grant

-Brady's blog is a waste of time for both him and his readers

-Amy Grant's Christmas album ruined Christmas for Brady

-Brady's sister is neato burrito anyway. 






Hug my sister next time you see her!

Love you Molly.





1 comment:

  1. I love you. I'm sorry for the torture, but one day you'll wake up and realize what great music it is. Thank you for posting that lovely picture of me - I really ought to grow my hair out and perm it again. I'm grateful for you - you put up with me a lot growing up and I'll always be grateful for our special bond. Sorry to be cheesy, but it's true. Go download that album. Now.

    ReplyDelete