Have to Drive

This one comes from one of my favorites, the highly underrated Amanda Palmer.

Of all the artists I follow, I suppose I admire Palmer's passion for what she does as a musician more than any other.  She's a gifted songwriter, who can be smart, brave, dangerous, funny and sometimes downright sad.

Today's song comes from her debut solo album "Who Killed Amanda Palmer."  The song is called HAVE TO DRIVE and is about depression.  She talks about driving frequently in the song.  I'm not quite sure what that has to do with her suffering, but I see it as an analogy of moving forward, and even taking control of one's own life.  But the cool thing about a great song is that somebody can find something completely different about it.

I get depressed every year.  It starts around October/November and carries through the cold, gray Utah winters.  My medicine helps me so much, but I can't tell you how much I relate to Palmer's lyrics in this song:

I suffer mornings most of all
I feel so powerless and small
By ten o'clock I'm back in bed
Fighting the jury in my head

At the end, she vows to fight for the cause:

We'll have to drive
They're getting closer
Just get inside
It's almost over

And then, along with a chorus of voices:
We will save your brothers
We will save your cousins
We will drive them far away
From streets and lights
From all signs of bad mankind

I really love this song.  I hope you appreciate this music, my subconscious sure did this morning;  here's "Have to Drive" by Amanda Palmer....









No comments:

Post a Comment