Yes Man

8/12/18

I think this ballad by Ben Folds is best described with his own words from an interview with Billboard Magazine:

"'Why didn't you tell me how I got fat?' is not usually how you start a ballad, so I felt like that disarms the listener and confuses others. I divorce myself from listeners who aren't tolerant of humor."

"I did notice universally that, especially when it comes to weight, people look in the mirror and get the angle just right, tell themselves it's all right, and then they go out. And people say 'Take my picture from this angle or don't take it from that angle,' and at some point, in time you get a perspective on it and you are like 'Holy s--t!' I also like to start with an awkward sentence to open up with because that's how I feel as a person."

If you know me well, you know about my love affair with all things Ben Folds.  This song doesn't fall short-  it's lovely, maybe one of the more gorgeous songs he's written.  I hope you'll take a moment to listen-  I think his funny lyrics are always surprising, funny, and more often than not, meaningful.  This one starts out with "Why didn't you tell me that I got fat?"

I really like this song and I hope you'll take 4 minutes of your day to listen to it, I think this song showcases not only the man's skill as a songwriter but also arranger.

HUGS





No comments:

Post a Comment