You Okay Honey?

10/7/2018

This one came straight out of left field.

If you and I hung out back in 1997 or 1998, I probably at one time would have played something for you from "Rent" the Musical.  If you're not familiar with "Rent," it's basically a rock musical based loosely on Puccini's classic 'La Boheme' with the characters dying from AIDS instead of Tuberculosis, AKA a really uplifting story.

Kind of kidding, Rent can be a lot of fun, but it's not my cup of tea any more- I haven't listened to the music in years and sort of felt like I had outgrown it when I saw the mediocre (IMO) film adaptation in 2005.

The Song Stuck in My Head, happens to be sung between two characters who are meeting for the first time, Collins and the drag queen Angel.  I don't remember exactly what's happening in this moment, but I think Collins got beat up and Angel has come to his rescue.  They fall in love, after it's confirmed that they're both dying of AIDS.   If you listen to the song, you'll hear them discuss the disease.

This is not a typical song- more like story-telling through music.  But it was in my head, so here you go.  (Specifically the line "You OK Honey, They take any Money?")








I hope you were uplifted, or confused by the song stuck in my head.  I love you rascals.

-Brady

No comments:

Post a Comment