So Real

Today's song is called "So Real" and it's by the late, great Jeff Buckley:




Jeff Buckley emerged in the nineties during the height of grunge rock as a wickedly talented guitarist and singer.  What I find particularly interesting about this song is the dissonant chord progression and Buckley's strong vocals.  The singer reflects on an old relationship and the reality of what once was is now gone.  

I suppose if you wanted to say something that sounds cliche about Jeff Buckley, this song could reflect well a promising career that tragically ended in 1997 when Buckley drowned while swimming (fully clothed) in a river.  It's not a great metaphor but I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jeff Buckley was "so real" and although his music survives, he isn't here to give us more incredible music.  

Buckley's only album "Grace" was introduced to me by a friend in 2004 and it's been an important part of my music collection.  I've never heard anything like this.  I want to say that his music is almost part death metal, part stadium rock, part baroque pop.  There's nothing like it now and there especially was nothing like it in the early 90's.  

Is this interesting to anyone?  I feel like I'm just getting really boring in my old age.  I love writing about songs here, and I'm painfully self deprecating in general so this isn't easy guys!  

I don't mean to make this about me.  I suppose if just one person who had never heard of Jeff Buckley read this and learned something from reading this I would be happy.  

I had my 6 (almost 7) year-old daughter draw a picture of you being so impressed by the things you learn on my blog. 



I'm gonna try to get my family involved and perform next week's song on the blog.  This has back fired before, but we're gonna try it again.  I want those of you who are interested to comment (on this post) about how you would like the song stuck in my head next Sunday performed:

1.  A great big family number

2.  Wifey-poo singing the song in her wickedly strong operatic soprano voice.  

3.  A musical retelling of a song through dance (don't pick this one)

It's gonna be great, you won't want to miss it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment