Pressure

Come, friends- let us travel back in time to the year 1982, when a delightful little fellow named Billy Joel proved that playing the piano was incredibly cool.  For today's song, though,  he traded the piano in for a synthesizer (so cutting edge in 1982!) and managed to come up with a very cool keyboard riff in the process.

This is "Pressure" from Joel's album THE NYLON CURTAIN.  It's the 3rd track from the album.  It's a good one.  Please listen:



This song in particular was inspired by Joel's early days as a songwriter and the pressure he felt to have to produce material, and earn a living as a starving artist.  But lyrically he manages to prove that life in general is full of all kinds of pressure. 

I'll be honest.  Adulthood not been what I had hoped or expected it would be.  In fact, I have been really disappointed by it. 

Not to be a drag, but the other day I called my Dad, exhausted by what life expects of me:  four kids, a wife, mortgage, car payments and other debts, taking care of the yard/house, callings in church, demands at the job, dieting and trying to stay in shape, trying to write a good blog post etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 

You get the point.  It's life- it's what I signed up for, and I called my dad hoping that he could tell me that it gets better.  He was honest:  it's always tough but it's important to try and enjoy the journey. 

Holy crap though, am I tired! 



But I'm going to try harder.  The pressure will always be there and it's important to keep trying and enjoy it the best you can.  I have it pretty good:  A nice job, beautiful wife and kid and 5 bazillion reasons to be happy. 

Them's my thoughts friends. 

Have a good week. 

1 comment: