Shady Lane

Every once in awhile a song, or particular lyric finds its way into my head and comes as a total surprise.  Luckily the lyric was interesting enough that it wasn't difficult to find the song- since I had NO idea who it was.

♫ A Redder Shade of Neck on a Whiter Shade of Trash ♪

It's such a funny and clever lyric- of the couple of times I heard it (years ago!) it's definitely stuck with me.

The lyric comes from 90's indie-rock band Pavement, which is a band that my brother played for me a few times.  My taste in music differs quite dramatically from my brother, although there are many artists that we both like, so there are places where we can meet in the middle too.  But the dood is the most musically passionate person I know, hands down and he has some rad music in his collection, which he has been listening to and collecting from pretty much the day he was born.

So- the song is called "Shady Lane" and comes from Pavement's 1997 album "Brighten the Corners"  I wish he were here to help me with these lyrics but more or less this couple goes out to eat and he's poor and she's not, or at least she's better off than he is. 

From there wackiness ensues.  Listen to the song- find an interpretation.  I'm glad it got stuck in my head because I was forced to listen to it closer and I like it!

Here's the song y'alls (and music video!)







No comments:

Post a Comment