To Your Love

11/11/18

There's only one Fiona Apple and I will forever be a fan of hers.

A quick, sad story and then I'll share the song stuck in my head.

During the first year of my marriage, in 2006, I managed a Costa Vida Mexican Restaurant with my brother.  It was a fun job, one that I still miss to this day.  There was a girl who would come in frequently on lunch break, come through the line and order her food.  She came regularly, and I remember her because of her striking resemblance to Fiona Apple.  She had the same big eyes, and pouty lips, which I first fell hard for when Ms. Apple exploded on the music scene back in 1996.




Image result for fiona apple 1996

I never spoke to the doppleganger as she passed through line, until one day when she looked at me, smiled and handed me a piece of paper with her phone number on it.  I can't say that something like that happened to me frequently in my life, but I was always surprised and beyond flattered when it did. 

As a line worker at Costa Vida I would wear gloves, so I suppose Fiona Apple's twin didn't notice that I wore a wedding ring.  So I told her thank you for the note, but took my glove off and showed her that I wore a ring.  I was taken.  The doppleganger turned red and rushed through the line, and I never saw her again.  I suppose I shouldn't have told her that I was married, as to not embarrass her, but the truth is I would have gladly gone out with her, had I not already found the woman of my dreams. 

Today's song comes from Apple's second album (from 1999) which has the longest title ever.  "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right."

Incidentally this record has, in my opinion, Fiona Apple's best collection of songs.  It's really, really really good. 

Today's song is the second track on the record, which is titled "To Your Love"  Nobody does angry piano girl music quite like Fiona Apple.  I love her for it:







Neat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment