Going Through the Motions

Wednesday, hump day.  I woke up with this song "Going Through the Motions" by Aimee Mann playing today:



This is from Mann's "The Forgotten Arm"  album from 2005.  This song is actually about a man struggling with addiction- but I found the title appropriate to each of us.  Do we feel like we're going through the motions each day? 













I propose that we do something about the banality of life and make your day more interesting!



Here's how it works, I will list 10 things to do when you first wake up, 10 things midday, and 10 things in the evening.  Randomly use the random number generator, and whatever number you land on, at the given moment of the day, you must do whatever it says.  This will give you 3 tasks to do throughout the day.  If you don't then you're just going through the motions like everyone else.


MORNING
1.  Go for a walk down your street backwards. 
2.  Go to the grocery store and buy a big fat steak.  Cook it rare and eat it. *
3.  Instead of wearing normal clothes, dress up like a superhero and wear it all day.  Make a costume if you don't have one already.  Give yourself a superhero name. 
4.  Put a cucumber on a string and drag it with you everywhere.  Call it "Fifi" 
5.  Go to the yellow pages.  Close your eyes, open up the page and point somewhere.  Wherever your finger is, go visit that place and give them your patronage. 
6.  Make the commitment to wear your pajamas all day.  No matter what you may have planned. 
7.  Make a milkshake for breakfast.  A really good fattening one. 
8.  Don't send a single text message all day.  Call the person instead. 
9.  Rearrange the furniture in one room.
10.  Call someone and convince them to try this list. 

*Consuming undercooked meats may cause bad stuff to happen to you. 

MIDDAY
1.  Go around your house and place a moustache on every picture of someone you have in a frame.  CAUTION- Use a dry erase marker. 
2.  Start a blog about Mr. Belvedere. 


3.  Go to your local CD store- close your eyes and pick a CD.  Whatever it is, buy it.  And listen to it.
4.  Do the same thing at the Library with a book.  No matter what book it is, read it.  All of it.   
5.  Go to the supermarket and buy 10 different kinds of cheese.  Get kinds you've never heard of.  Invite a friend or 2 over for a cheese tasting contest. 
6.  Go to my cousin's blog:  http://www.panhandlingwithclass.blogspot.com/ post a comment and tell her she's dumb.  She could use a reality check. 
7.  Buy some Hi-Chew candy and give it to someone.  Spread Joy. 
8.  Go for a mile long walk in nature. 
9.  Meet a friend for lunch at a restaurant you've never tried.  It can not be a restaurant chain or fast food.   
10.  Share this list with your minions on facebook/twitter/pinterest/google+/youtube/Foxnews.com. 

EVENING
1.  Look up Aimee Mann's guest appearance on "Portlandia."  Then laugh while you watch it. 
2.  Go do some Yoga- I've never tried it but I hear it's great.
3.  Go to a top ten films of all time list (google search it) and watch a movie on the list you've never seen. 
4.  Gather all the pennies in your house.  Prepare them to be taken to the bank and put into a savings account or donate them to a charity. 
5.  Dress up nicely and create a name tag that says "tour guide."  Take a few friends and/or family to your local video store and treat it like you're giving a tour at a museum, since it is fast becoming a piece of ancient history.
6.  Create a YouTube account and post your first video.  If you already have a YouTube account, then post a video of yourself mouthing the lyrics to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with passion and conviction. 
7.  Write a handwritten letter to a grandparent, or someone far away.  It must be a real letter- no emails. 
8.  Turn on the television. The first block of commercials you see, decide you're going to buy whatever is being advertised in one commercial, whether it's a product or service.
9.  Organize a spontaneous sporting game of some kind that requires several people to play:  Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee.  Don't make up excuses, play the game now. 
10.  Take cookies to the neighbor whose door is to your right as you exit the front door of your house.  Even if you don't like them, or don't know them, take them cookies anyway. 

I hope to run into one of you giving a tour guide at a blockbuster in a batman outfit with cookies in hand for your neighbor.  Let me know how boring your day-to-day life is after completing these tasks. 

Aimee Mann's music is good.

4 comments:

  1. I am officially in love with this list! I am totally going to do some of these things! (Although the thought of steak for breakfast makes me gag a little.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to this exercise I am going to dress like a superhero today, randomly pick and completely read a book at the library, and watch a set of commercials and make a purchase. I love breaking out of the norm, but usually don't know where to begin. This is EXTREMELY clever. Well-done Brady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I have to advertise your Blog, and take cookies to my neighbors... who I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brady, I keep my days random by never planning my lunch ahead of time. I open the fridge and grab anything that I can put in a grocery sack that won't make a mess. I once thought it would be a good idea to try a cucumber sandwich, so I brought a whole cucumber and two slices of white bread. When I sat at work with a plate of sliced cucumbers and two pieces of bread I was at a loss to know what else to put in the sandwich. I opted for mayo and salt. Grossest sandwich I have ever had, but I ate the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete