I Wish...

A song from my childhood is once again playing in my head today.  Does anyone remember this song?



This song by Skee-Lo used to play on MTV, back when MTV used to play music.  I always thought the chorus to this song had the dumbest lyrics.  Since I was so bugged by the lyrics, I've always remembered this song.  Consequently, it's now part of the repertoire of my brain and now we get to enjoy it together on this blog:

Listen carefully to these clever lyrics...

I wish I was a little bit taller.
I wish I was a baller.
I wish I had a girl who looked good
I would call her. 

I googled how tall Skee-Lo is.  According to a very valuable scientific source, which is a comment on a forum:

"By taking screencaps of the music video and measuring in Photoshop images where Skee-Lo is holding what appears to be a regulation basketball (~9.3" diameter), we can calculate that he is approximately 5' 1.5"

I'm six feet tall now.  But let me tell you, Skee-Lo, I feel your pain!  When I was 16 years old, I had a mad crush on a girl.  She was 5'7" and I was 5'3" and 90 pounds.  I wanted to trick her into asking me to a girls-choice dance.  So I sent a mutual friend and had him subtlely suggest she ask me.  Her response:  "But he's shorter than me!" 

As a new driver, I got pulled over 4 times by police for "underage driving." 



Probably the most humiliating time this happened is when I offered to drive my crush's 12-year-old sister somewhere.  It was just the 2 of us driving around the mean streets of Bountiful, Utah and you can imagine my horror when I got pulled over and had to explain that I was not 12 years old like her.  I felt awesome, and felt even awesomer when I took little sis home and she told my crush what had happened.

Fortunate for me, Skee-Lo, in a year I grew 9 inches and gained one or two pounds.  Although I didn't have the mad basketball skills you so desire in this song, I did something even more appealing to girls:  I got a job at Wendy's and got involved in the theater!  My lanky tap dancing made all kinds of ladies swoon, and I've never looked back since. 

Skee-Lo, I know you only had one hit.  I still hope you've had all your wishes come true, just like me. 




3 comments:

  1. When my brother was flying out to Utah for his freshman year of college the flight attendant was going to give him the children's rate (under 12) for the movie headphones they sell. And as an adult the poor guy is only about 5' 6"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, what is that song?

    And who was the crush? Don't remember that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yah - I remember this song. I laughed because I did wish that I was taller and that I was a baller.

    ReplyDelete