Michael Praytor/ Mr. Kite

I'm kind of cheating today.  You see, here's the thing, I just got back from a weekend get-away with my hot wife.  We went to Vegas, and each of us got to decide what we wanted to do each night.

My choice was to see Ben Folds Five for the first time.  The concert was Friday night, and it was fantastic.  If I had more time, I would go into detail.  I've never heard a piano sound so loud and amazing.  The show rocked, and I was in nerdy music bliss.

Saturday morning I woke up with a song from their new album stuck in my head.  Hearing the song live gave me a new appreciation for it.  Here it is, this is Michael Praytor, Five Years Later.

Before I play the song, I want to tell you that it's about a guy named Michael Praytor, who has no real significance in the singer's life- but the singer seems to run into him every five years, completely random and inexplicable.


There is this guy I used to work with at Wendy's.  His name is Dustin.  He's my Michael Praytor.  I've run into him so many times, in the strangest places, and we always laugh about it when we see each other.

(The next time I run into Dustin, I'll take a picture and post it here)

OK- moving on.....

So, wifey poo really wanted to see The Beatles "Love" by Cirque du Soleil.  The Beatles are sure neato, so of course I went.  For me, I had to get used to what it might feel like to do acid (I've never done drugs) for the first 30 minutes of the show.  But once I adjusted to the artificial "trip" the Soleil-ites were giving me, I had a jolly good time.

Not trying to sound trite, wow, The Beatles wrote some pretty incredible music and wow, some of those performers in Cirque du Soleil were incredible athletes and performers.  The drunk guy behind me shouted   through the whole show, but that is the only criticism I can give about the performance.

Sunday morning (fittingly) I woke up with a song by The Beatles that is (fittingly) about the circus.

Here's "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."



Here's something interesting I came across in all my deep and intense web research I do.



This is the very poster that inspired John Lennon to write this song.  Lyrically, you can see that he is quite literal with his inspiration.  I never knew this before now, and I likey.  You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_for_the_benefit_of_mr_kite




Above is a sign I saw in town.  I may be the only one who finds this funny.  Perhaps there is something I'm missing, but I read this as "If it's here, then it's here!"

Lastly, here is a picture of me and my sweetheart.  We've been married 7 years now.  I don't regret a single second and I'm happy as I look at this to see that we are starting to look older. Hopefully we've become more sophisticated as well.  I love that she shares my passion for music and has an even stronger passion for tolerating me.  But musically, what a fun weekend for me:  Ben Folds Five and The Beatles.  Awesome.





Now back to the grind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment