On My Own

Today's post is probably one of the reasons that I took a 3 week long break from this blog. 

The music from Les Miserables is so darn catchy!  There was a time (high school) when I listened to Les Mis almost every day.  I couldn't get enough of the poppy 80's musical theater power ballads that Les Mis had to offer.  I wonder if REO Speedwagon has ever tried to cover a song from Les Mis?  They should.

So, I guess what I'm getting at, is that even though I haven't listened to the music from Les Miserables for more than 10 years, I finally saw the movie a few weeks ago and the gull darn music is not leaving my brain. 

Here's "On My Own."  You know it, you probably love it.  Here you go. 



Since the resurgence of this beloved musical, thanks to Hollywood, something has come up a few times for me as I talk to people about this show.  It concerns how to classify Les Miserables.  Is it an Opera?  Is it Musical Theater?  Or is it in its a class of its own?  This may not be a common discussion for most people, but being married to an Opera singer, people sometimes ask me, "has your wife ever perfomed in Les Miserables?"  Of course, I always respond with "no, Les Miserables is not an Opera."  And then I get this:  "But there's no talking!" 

I'll try not to rant- I don't claim to be an expert on music.  If anything I'm a certified music obsessive spazz, nothing more.  Nothing less.  But this is how I see it.  Opera, or a better way of putting it, classical singing, has everything to do with the style of singing you're doing!  Opera singers have gotten their voice to the level where it cannot get any stronger.  They are the best singers in the world.  Yes, many of the singers in Les Miserables are great singers, but few of them could fill their voice in an auditorium without a microphone, or belt out the high notes to the queen of the night aria or do this.  I assure you that cute little Cosette's character from Les Miserables would explode if she even attempted to sing either of these songs.

 

So there are my thoughts on the matter.  Now are you wondering whether or not I liked Les Mis?  The answer is "yes."  Much more than I thought I would.  I just don't consider it an opera.  

1 comment: