They can't take away my dignity

Saturday morning I woke up with this familiar ditty going through my head: 



I'm not a big enough Whitney Houston fan to make some sort of memorial here without sounding incredibly trite.  I will say this though:  She had a great voice and I had a big crush on her when I used to watch her on MTV as a kid.  Also, it's sad when anybody that gifted dies so unexpectedly.  Also, I'm a bit disgusted by the media who is now glorifiying her as the greatest artist of all time, after banking on her battle with drugs and other struggles for so many years.

"The greatest love of all"-  Probably the corniest pop ballad ever written.  I remember singing it is a program at school in the sixth grade.  It's one I'll never forget, though old, bitter and cynical- admittedly I find a certain element of inspiration in the words.  Hopefully Whitney Houston found the greatest love of all, wherever she is. 


5 comments:

  1. Great, now I'm going to have this stuck in MY head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I get songs stuck in my head all the time! Thanks again so much to you and Meg for stopping by the other day. It was great to see you and it really meant a lot! Looking forward to your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Brady you crack me up. I will have to add this blog to my 'favorites' list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, my wife says she had to sing this song in a school program as well, and I had the same thing told to me by another friend. Is it possible the government mandated some program requring all public schools to sing this song? Did anyone else sing this song in school?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There must have been a national campaign, I remember singing this in elementary school in New Orleans. Whitney must have also had the greatest agent of all.

    ReplyDelete