Cato as a Pun

Have you ever heard of the band "of Montreal?"  Well open your ears and listen:



What can you possibly say about this song?  Cato was a statesman in ancient Rome whose family was well known and renowned.  If you listen to the lyrics, it would seem this is about a friendship that is conflicted. 

If I had to guess, the Cato referenced in the title is Cato the Younger, who actively opposed Julius Caeser.  I'm pretty dumb, so I'm probably wrong.  Whatever deep meaning this song is far too deep and eccentric (drugs) and profound (drugs) for me to possibly ever be able to interpret (drugs.) 

This is the only album by of Montreal that I own.  I've done some research online (I'm so scholastic) and according to some, this album's central theme has to do with of Montreal's lead singer Kevin Barnes and his transformation into his alter ego Georgie Fruit. 






Whether we're listening to Mr. Barnes, or Mr Fruit's music- it sounds great! 






If I had an alter-ego, his name would be Ralph Williams.








If Peyton had an alter-ego, his name would be The Pajama Hero





If Zoe had an alter-ego, it would be the Wizard of Zo. 



 And Lucy's alter-ego is called Zebra Girl.  You know, because when you put a black and white dress on and make goofy faces, it automatically makes you a zebra. 

















1 comment:

  1. I'm oddly enough a big fan of "of Montreal" these guys are seriously kooky though (drugs). That album you have is also their most coherent by far.

    ReplyDelete