GUEST BLOG POST

Today I get to share with you a post from my friend, Micah McOwen, who wanted to be a guest writer.  No, not a GHOST writer, a GUEST writer.  Unfortunately my life isn't interesting enough to warrant a Ghost Writer, but I'm working up to that.  

Regardless, you're in for a treat, because he's very funny and his post is hilarious. 

Hello, fellow cashsongstuckites.  Brady is not the only nerd on the internet, nor is he the only one with songs stuck in their heads.  However, while Brady enjoys a smorgasbord of delightful tunes that enliven his lurping out of bed each morning, not all of us are so fortunate.  I, for one, have been plagued for some 6 or 7 years by one solitary song forever stuck in my head.

Being home-schooled, mormon, and nerdy, my pre-tween exposure to music was essentially restricted to the following: (1) Moody Blues: Live at Red Rocks, (2) Billy Joel: An Innocent Man, (3) Original Broadway Cast AND Original Film Soundtrack: Jesus Christ, Superstar, and (4) these records.  Eventually, musicals dominated the charts.  When I got my first CD player for Christmas, the Aladdin soundtrack that appropriately accompanied it was the single solitary CD I owned for several months.  As soon as I could save up $0.01, I joined BMG and used my penny to buy 47 more musical soundtracks.  I also wore out the VHS with routine Sunday viewings of Hello, Dolly!, Fiddler on the Roof and Sound of Music, when I wasn't watching The Neverending Story and 3-2-1 Contact.  I knew my G's from my S's, and I even knew and loved this musical, despite "Bye-Yum Pum Pum" never achieving mass market appeal.  Point is, I know my musicals about as well as any straight non-theater-major out there.

Or at least I thought I did, before I met my wife.  She was not only a girl, she was a girl who loved musical theater AND was studying musical theater AND had sisters who also loved musical theater.  So very quickly I learned there were even more musicals out there for my totally non-gay enjoyment.  Including, unfortunately, one starring this guy and a girl who sounds a little too much like a Judy Garland record sped up too fast.

That's right, there's this musical called Burt Reynolds Kidnaps Girls For Thriving Sex Slave Trade In The Yukon: The BarnRaising SquareDance Avalanche Edition, although for some reason my wife keeps calling it Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  It has many memorable tunes, including this song, the title of which is the perfect thing to exclaim in response to virtually anything anyone ever says to you, and this one, which makes us all wish we'd paid a lot more attention in shul and/or seminary.

Anyway, there is one song in particular called "Goin' Courtin'."  It's a simple little tune.  Way too simple. 




And way too memorable.  So simple and memorable in fact that it has become my own personal Pachelbel's canon in D.  I hear it in everything.  Worse, I have a penchant for subconscious whistling, and as a result of my unwitting masterpieces Concerto for Gangly Whistler in F# Major Pain in the Ass and Variations on Courtin' in A Little Bit Louder Now, I have now driven my wife to loathe her erstwhile favorite musical.  Not to mention, those who constantly humm, sing, whistle, mumble, ratatatat-with-hands the song "Goin' Courtin'" are not exactly destined for success in the fistfighting/legal world in which I work, despite what this misleading film would try and have you believe.  Really, I'm afraid I'm doomed to have this little song stuck in my head forever.

I share, Brady and dear readers, not to garner your sympathy but for your aid.  I would appreciate it if you would tweet me @micahjbm and offer suggestions of songs that are more catchy in the hopes I can take Milly's feminyne advice, move on and start catchin' rabbits on the run again instead of endlessly playing this insipid song on repeat in my head.

Bye-um-pum-pum bye bye.
Micah

@micahjbm

2 comments:

  1. I had this song in my head just the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a topic that's close to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?

    Have a look at my site: miami dinner cruise

    ReplyDelete