Strong Black Vine

Today's is extremely random.  This is a Tori Amos song.  I am a Tori Amos fan, but there are some songs of hers that I just don't care for all that much.  One problem with some Tori Amos albums, in my opinion, is a lack of editing.  She is an insanely talented writer- so much so that she is hearing new music all the time.  As such an artist, she is able to submit hundreds of songs for new albums.

What I'm getting at, is that she has too many tracks on her albums.  A normal album has 10-12 tracks.  Most of Tori Amos' albums are close to twenty tracks or more.  To some hard-core fans, I'm sure this is something appreciated.  I'm afraid that for me, it's too much of a good thing.

Something else you may not know about Tori Amos... before she was the piano playing songstress that we know her to be, she was in a failed rock band called Y Kant Tori Read.




This band didn't get any attention.  But as a talented writer, Amos was able to secure a recording contract which included 6 albums, I believe.  She traded in her big hair and leather pants for a piano and was able to have the much deserved success she's had.  

At heart, I think Amos is a rocker, or wishes she were.  Today's song is one of those songs where she rocks a little more than casual listeners may have heard.  I don't hate it, but I don't love it.  





As far as what this song's about.... I didn't dig too much into it.  My interpretation is the "Strong Black Vine" is a whip which is forcing others to believe in something like religion or politics by force.  I don't claim to know much, but this interpretation is good enough for me, since I'm pretty much over the song to begin with.  


No comments:

Post a Comment