Whip It

Hi Everybody!  I'm excited to share a song with you that I know you know.  It was most certainly playing in my head this morning, and like the crack of a whip, I jumped out of bed ready to face the day ahead.  




Interesting facts about this song:

Devo raised 15,000$ of their own money to fund this music video.

The video's concept was derived from a man who owned a dude ranch in Arizona.  Apparently his wife had special clothing she held together with Velcro.  The husband would give the illusion that he could whip her clothes off.



Also, did you know that the lead singer/writer of Devo is Mark Mothersbaugh?  You may not know who he is, he's scored several kids television shows, and also writes the quirky music in many Wes Anderson movies.  For people with young kids like me, you may recognize him as well as this man from "Yo Gabba Gabba"



I'm kind of all over the place here, but I thought I would mention something else. 

I have a bone to pick with my old choir teacher, Miss Webb.  Many many years ago she accused this song of being musically simple and obnoxious.  She's even performed the song in front of our class to prove her point.  Does anyone remember this?  

Well, Miss Webb, I like the song anyway!  If I could go back in time, I would stand up, with my fists in the air and defend this song.  So what if it only has 5 chords, is quite repetitive, makes little sense lyrically, makes you wonder how it was ever a hit, and gets stuck in your head to the annoying point?

I downloaded this Devo album from 1980 today.  I'm anxious to dissect it- even though I know the music is mostly just nonsensical, silly and far from musically complex.  But you've got to have some guilty pleasures in life right?  

 

3 comments:

  1. Not only do I remember, I also remember that she played "PYT" as an awesome and complex song in contrast. I have to say, "PYT" is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, PYT is a better song. But c'mon, you can't say that you don't have a little bit of fun with "Whip it?"

      Delete
  2. I think of her every time I hear that song, PYT, or just hear someone say pretty young thing.

    ReplyDelete