Oh No

I find the process of putting these songs on a blog very scientific.  This is why I choose to blog so often.  I blog every other day, and I am 100% honest about the first song that comes to me when I wake up in the morning.  I know there are probably more interesting songs that I could talk about, but I find doing it this way fascinating. 

That being said, today's song, "Oh No" by Andrew Bird is both unique and interesting.  I own 3 of his albums.  Each song is clearly and unapolgetically Andrew Bird.  Not surprising, after researching this song, I learned that he writes traditional songs "backwards."  Most song writers have notebooks full of lyrics and poetry from which they form melodies, then adding chords complete the song.  I took a course on song writing in college and was taught to write this way as well. 

Andrew Bird instead has 100's of melodies going through his brain, and later fits lyrics into the melodies.  As you listen to his music, you'll find the lyrics are like nothing you've ever heard.  This song was inspired when unexpectedly he was stuck sitting behind a toddler on a plane. 



You can read about the process here:

http://measureformeasure.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/words-will-tell/

I'll sum up as well, since this is getting a little wordy as is.  The way the kid was crying started sounding like a moaning violin and then eventually evolved into a chord progression.  Also, he was crying "Oh No" again and again, which inspired Andrew Bird to write lyrics about being trapped in a calcium mine and Harmless Sociopaths walking arm in arm. 

This whole thing may be so odd to others, but I find it so fascinating, almost magical in a way.  Here is the song if you'd like to hear it:




So forgive my indulgence with this one, but I really love this music.  I don't know that this is the first song I would ever play for you to introduce you to Andrew Bird's music, but this was the one in my head so it's what you get. 

Also a big congratulations to each of the winners in our BIG IMPORTANT GENEROUS SONGSSTUCKINMYHEAD GIVEAWAY.  I bet anyone who didn't win or enter the contest is really jealous. 

Clara in Sandy UT won the CD.  You can't find such musical compilational brilliance in music stores, karaoke bars or at your mom's house. 

Kathryn in Dallas TX won the wax candy and beef jerkey.  Rich in protein and waxy deliciousness, Kat will be talking about this snack for years to come. 

Rochelle in Heber UT won the rare Cheers VHS tape.  Blah blah blah, you can find it on Netflix, is what the kids are telling me.  But pull out your VHS player and the duster and enjoy the nostalgia of the greatest sit-com about a bar ever made the way it should be enjoyed:  On an old out of date machine that you have to rewind and you get a bad picture out of, with tracking issues etc. 
Rock On. 

Brady

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'm listening to it for the seventh time. I have no idea who Andrew Bird is or what sociopaths have to do with calcium mines, but I LOVE IT! Seriously do. But, Brady what does it all mean? What's your interpretation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew! Did you read the link I posted about how he conceived the song? I think he's just a musical genius who is incredibly eccentric. All of his lyrics are strange like this, but I do like them. I think he likes words, and chooses to use words that sound cool together. Whatever it is, it's like nothing you've ever listened to, and so fun. Listen to a song called "A nervous tic motion of the head to the left" or another I really like is called "Imitosis."

      Delete
    2. I agree that his music is uniquely beautiful and somewhat haunting. I really enjoy listening to him when I'm feeling melancholy or aloof...it's like because he's so smart, he has so many thoughts going on in his head and they get all jumbled up in his lyrics. I try not to make sense out of it as a story, but accept each phrase or sentence as a musical "thought" so to speak. I LOVE him though and anyone who hasn't heard more of Andrew Bird definitely should check him out.

      Delete