Welcome To England

My brother introduced me to Tori Amos 20 years ago.  She had red hair and was one of the strangest singers I had ever seen.  My wife got me really listening to her music 7 years ago and I've been hooked ever since.  She still has red hair and is still one of the strangest singers I've ever seen. 

Today's song is called "Welcome to England" which she wrote as homage to the country where she relocated after marrying an Englishman.  Take a listen:


I've been to England once.  My ancestors are English so it was exciting to visit.  It is an interesting place.  It has lots of gift shops and overpriced restaurants.  There are thousands of tourists from all different countries.  There are lots of chairs with people sitting and waiting.  There are loads of tarmacs and runways. 

OK, so I've only had a layover at the London Heathrow airport and I have to admit it was an awful experience.  For some reason (I can't understand how) they lost my luggage during my layover.  Making matters worse, this was the spring of 2002, not long after 9/11 and while I was trying to sort out the luggage thing, I missed my flight.  They had this silly rule that you had to be seated in front of your gate 2 hours before the flight leaves or they (unapologetically) would not seat you on your flight.

Further adding drama, I had the worst cold I've ever had in my life.  When I finally got on a plane, I took some "Night Nurse" (England's equivalent to Ny-Quil) and slept the entire duration of a 10 hour flight from London to San Francisco.



A month passed and one day I came home from work to find my luggage sitting on the front porch.  I wondered where it had been for a month, probably to Djibouti and some other exotic places.  I was happy to see it, regardless.  After this experience, I don't know how anyone could be inspired to write a song about England.  And I understand even more now why my people escaped from that wretched island to come to America so many years ago.

Of course, this is a joke.  I'm sure England is a lovely place and I hope to really see it some day.  In the mean time, I'll enjoy crazy red-headed Tori Amos' song about it.  I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment