A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left

I don't get to go to concerts very often, what with watching little babies when I'm not working to pay for little babies.  This week, a miracle occurred, I got to go to 2 concerts in 2 nights! 

Monday night I got to see The Gipsy Kings a flamenco group from southern France.  Tuesday night I went to see Andrew Bird. 

If you are wondering whether or not I liked these concerts, the answer is yes. 

My subconscious is rewarding all of us with an Andrew Bird song that I really enjoy.  You will too. 



Whenever I've introduced Andrew Bird's music to people, they always tell me they enjoy the music but they're confused as to what he's singing about.  But I don't think it's that hard- so I will break down a sampling of the song's meaning line by line with handy visual aides.   

Over prescribed
Under the Mister



We had survived to turn on the History Channel

And ask our esteemed panel
Why are we alive?

And here's how they replied,
You're what happens when two substances collide
When by all accounts you really should have died




That's just the introductory verse of the song.  I'm not gonna do the whole song, but if you think about it, the lyrics to the song TOTALLY make sense. 

Joking aside, I do think Andrew Bird's lyrics are different and a bit vague at times, but this is what makes his music clever and challenging.  For me, lyrics have always been a challenge. 

He's great live too, he was switching off between violin, guitar and xylophone and looping instruments to make all kinds of noise and complex music.  A cautionary note, however, don't dig too deep or you might get a nervous tic motion of your head as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment