Don't You (Forget About Me)

If you've never heard this song, then you were born in the 90's or later, or you lived in a cave in High School. 



This song is synonymous with "The Breakfast Club" the 1985 film that made the song popular. 




From what I read, this song was written for the movie and was offered to three or four other artists (including Billy Idol) before Scottish New Wave band, Simple Minds, reluctantly took the gig.  It so happens that this song was their greatest hit.  Isn't that how it always happens?


In 1985 I was 6 years old.  In 1995, I was 16 and this is when I first saw "The Breakfast Club."  I remember being deeply moved by the characters.  I haven't seen the movie since then and wonder if it would seem more like a melodrama now.  At the time, it all felt so relatable, and so it felt like a vicarious experience to watch the film. 

Can you guess which character I connected with?  If you say Molly Ringwald, you're dead wrong.

 16 year old dorks unite.   

1 comment: