Savior Redeemer of My Soul

This is the first religious song I've had in my head in the morning.  I don't listen to religious music often, unless I'm at church or some other church related activity.  I'll do my best to make this as entertaining as possible, as I struggle to express myself in a "churchy" manner.  I want to feel embarrassed that this song was in my head, but honestly, I do like the song (you should hear my wife sing it!) and it came to me in a moment when I truly was feeling uneasy.  

Have you ever had someone tell you details about a dream they had?  Was it boring to listen to it?  It's happened to me before, and I must be honest, I don't love hearing about others' dreams.  It seems that  experiencing a dream is one thing, and telling someone about it is not nearly as exciting.

So with that, I'm going to tell you details about a dream I had last night! 

This dream is one part funny, and another part terrifying (or it felt that way at least.)

It started with a knock at the door of our house.  I opened the door and there stood a severely handicapped  boy.  He could barely walk.  He told me that he was there to have a voice lesson with my wife.  This was strange because it wasn't time for her to teach, and this boy was somebody she didn't know.

I peered out the window and there was a limousine.  Megan proceeded to teach this boy and I wandered outside to see who was in the limo.  The limo drove off before I could see, but there was buzz in the neighborhood that Utah Jazz forward Derrick Favors had been in the limousine.  I wondered why he had been at our house and a neighbor informed me that he had taken pity on this handicapped boy who wanted to be a singer, caught word that my wife was a good voice teacher and had paid well to have Megan teach the boy.







This was very generous of Mr. Favors, however, there was a problem.  It was his coming unannounced while we were trying to do other things.  I wandered over to Derrick Favors' home to thank him for his generosity and kindly ask him to forewarn us next time, and like an idiot, I accidentally got him mixed up with Miami Heat Forward Lebron James.  



Derrick Favors took this all in stride, and we had a good laugh over my mistake. 

(Then this is where the dream got dark)

Derrick Favors and I wandered outside his home and I heard a commotion.  I looked in the distance and heard screaming.  There was a raging river filled with people.  The water was rolling out of control and the people had no way of escape.  A man in the river looked at me and said "there's a flood, run" before being swept away and out of sight.  

I looked at my feet and water was filling the grass.  By now Derrick Favors was gone, so I ran into a nearby house.  The house was filling with water and I had to run to the highest point to escape. 

(This all doesn't sound scary now reading over, but being a part of this dream was truly terrifying.)

The worst part was next, I was awakened by the scream of a child.  I'm not certain if it was part of my dream, or one of my kids screaming, but it was an awful, blood chilling, and utterly terrifying sound, like someone was in real danger.  It was 5:00 A.M. and I was so scared I could barely move.  I thought about waking my wife, but was certain my imagination had gotten the better of me.  Once I had mustered up the courage to get out of bed, I wandered slowly to each of my 4 kids' rooms to make sure they were safe. 

I was so disoriented and frightened, that my imagination had gotten the better of me, and I kept thinking windows and doors were open, like someone had broken into our home to take one of my kids.  I can't tell you the last time I felt this scared.  I'd love to have a video recording of me, in the night, in a cold sweat, wandering about our house, when I am supposed to be the strong one, feeling so vulnerable and helpless.  

I checked all the kids rooms and they were all safe, and sound asleep.  Relieved, I sat down on the couch in our family room, almost tempted to lie down and go to sleep there.  I realized a song was playing in my head and so I'll share that song with you now.  



This all sounds odd, but this experience for me last night was very real and as I sat there on the couch, I felt comforted to hear this song playing in my head.  I sat down and read the lyrics to the song later today and it was reaffirmed to me why I choose to have religion in my life- to have something to turn to when I feel hopeless, alone and afraid.  


No comments:

Post a Comment