Runaway

Maroon 5 is a guilty pleasure band for me.  Before you go judging me, hear me out: 

I've been listening to this band for years, sort of.  Before they were Maroon 5 they were a band called Kara's Flowers.  They released an album, FOURTH WORLD, in 1997.  This album has some great music on it and I've listened to it many times.  I think Adam Levine is a great song writer, with a serious knack for catchy melodies.  I'll play the song that was stuck in my head this morning and then give a few more thoughts. 



Even though I admit to liking Maroon 5's songs, I will say that I like the music they did as Kara's Flowers much much much better.  When they reformed the band, they sought out a more mainstream sound, and had more success because of it. 

My real beef isn't so much about Maroon 5's sound.  The music is good.  What starts to bother me is that their music is too much about love, sex, breakups and relationships.  There is so much more to sing about, and 4 albums later, Maroon 5 is starting to feel predictable. 

As Kara's Flowers, they were writing songs about Oliver Twist, School Yard fights, and other interesting topics. 

So, Adam Levine and Maroon 5 why don't you write about more diverse topics, there are plenty we can relate to besides love? 

For example:

Relatives who drink too much


The migratory flight pattern of Canadian Geese


Or Corn Syrup


What this world needs is more songs about Corn Syrup, yo.  If anyone reading this knows Adam Levine, will you pass this along to him and ask him pretty pretty please to write a song about corn syrup?

Thanks. 


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel this post directly highlights your complete lack of empathy for Bowling Tournaments. Why doesn't that make your top list of song ideas? Think about what they have done for the middle aged white man.
    Also, I feel this was just a cover post to show off your mad computer graphic/ art skills. Get a room.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowling tournaments are overrated. No, this was not a ploy to get attention with my computer art skills. But if you know someone who likes my drawings let me know, I do commissioned art work for only $999.99....

      Delete
  3. I will have you know that I actually do know Adam Levine (second hand through a co-worker), and will ensure he sees this. You could well have inspired the next multi-platinum album.

    ReplyDelete