On Being Frank

I'm afraid if you're going to follow my blog, that you're going to be stuck listening to some Ben Folds, especially with the new album having just come out. 

I am a nerd, and I love music.  My wife is the singer in our family.  She is very very very very very very good.  Those who have heard her sing will agree with me.  I have been singing my whole life as well.  While my talent for singing doesn't even remotely compare to hers, I am honored to sing when I am asked. 

Such was the case today when I was asked to sing at the funeral of someone from my church.  The wife had died after 54 years of marriage- leaving the husband behind.  I was asked to sing their song, which is a love song that Tony Bennett made famous, "Because of You."  I felt good about the way the song went, in spite of how nervous I was to sing it.  I felt a lot of pressure, this good lady only gets one funeral, and this song was so important to them.  



I was told I did a good job, but I'm sure nobody would tell me if I was lousy.  There was something I heard more than once about this song though- "They don't write them like this any more."  There is some truth to that, but I think there are still plenty of nice songs out there, you just may have to dig a little bit more.   
  
Take a look at today's song and tell me if you agree.  The song is called "On Being Frank."  It's about the personal assistant of Frank Sinatra and what he does with his life after Frank dies. 

Now, I know that Ben Folds doesn't have the kind of voice that Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra have. But listen to this song and tell me that it isn't the kind of song that would be sung by one of these legends?








 This is why I admire Mr. Folds so much, it's his ability to write music that is smart, catchy music- and proving he's capable of fusing rock, jazz, pop and classical into his music.  No, they don't write them like they used to, but I wouldn't write off this generation of musical artists entirely, especially those that write their own music.  Frank and Tony may have been great singers, but they did not have this kind of gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment