How

Today's song is from Regina Spektor.  I have to say first, that I don't think there's a better voice in popular music than hers.  It has such a clear, and strong sound to it.  I don't know much about anything, but I would venture to say that she probably could have had a classical voice if she had chosen it.    

This song is beautiful and sad.  There are lots of break up songs, I have many in my collection.  Most have an angry feel to them.  The singer in this song is truly in love, and is truly breaking.  I've been lucky in life that I have never truly experienced deep heart break, I hope to never have to endure that sort of pain, nor do I wish it on anyone else.   

There is an "old" feel to this song.  Like it would fit in the 50's or 60's.  I want to say it almost has a Motown feel to it, if it's possible for a Russian-American hipster like Regina Spektor to write this sort of thing. 



I was chatting with a friend today who mentioned that she was collecting break-up songs.  It seemed like a strange collection to keep, but like a bozo I didn't figure out that she and her husband had split and so she was listening to break-up music.  It made me wonder, if most people find listening to music that rings true to a particular sad situation is therapeutic, or if they would rather not have the music remind them of why they're suffering.  I've found that listening to sad music, even the kind I can relate to, helps me to suffer through my situation- almost like it gives me comfort to know that somebody else has felt that kind of pain. 

Regardless, my heart aches for anybody who has suffered the loss of a loved one, whether sad music helps or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment